Our event coach, Ian Dexter Ladbrooke, has created plans to help runners get in shape to take up the 100 days of running challenge. Keeping in mind runners who may be absolute beginners or seasoned runners, Ian has drafted three plans, beginner, intermediate and advanced. Choose your plan as per your current fitness level and your target for 100 days.
All plans below commence on Monday Mar 18th, 2019.
Beginner Plan: target 2-5km per day
6 weeks pre-100 days training plan for runners looking at doing an average of 2-5km per day during the 2019 100 days of running.
|1||2km R/W||3km R/W||2km R/W|
|2||2km R/W||3km R/W||4km R/W|
|3||2km R/W||3km R/W||2km R/W||4km R/W|
|4||2km R/W||3km R/W||2km R/W||4km R/W|
|5||2km R/W||4km R/W||2km R/W||3km R/W||5km R/W|
|6||2km R/W||3km R/W||2km R/W||3km R/W||2km R/W||4km R/W|
R/W: Run or Walk, depending on your comfort level.
It’s ok to mix run and walks on all days as per your comfort level. Start with more walking during the initial days, and in a few days or weeks with improved fitness, you will be able to increase the run distance gradually.
Intermediate Plan: target 5-10km per day
6 weeks pre-100 days training plan for runners looking at doing an average of 5-10km per day during the 2019 100 days of running.
|1||5Km Easy||1Km Jog 3Km Faster 1Km Jog||5Km Easy||7Km Very Easy|
|2||5Km Easy||2Km Jog 2Km Faster 2Km Easy||5Km Easy||8Km Very Easy|
|3||5Km Easy||2Km Easy 3Km Faster 2Km Easy||6Km Easy||4Km Jog||8Km Very Easy|
|4||5Km Easy||2Km Easy 3Km Faster 2Km Easy||6Km Easy||4Km Jog||8Km Very Easy|
|5||5Km Easy||2Km Jog 4Km Faster 2Km Easy||5Km Easy||2Km Easy - then 1 Min Fast 1 Min Slow X 8 - 2Km Easy||5Km V.Easy||9Km Easy|
|6||5Km Easy||2Km Jog 4Km Faster 2Km Easy||5Km Easy||2Km Easy - then 1 Min Fast 1 Min Slow X 8 - 2Km Easy||5Km V.Easy||9Km Easy|
Advanced Plan: target 10+km per day
6 weeks pre-100 days training plan for runners looking at doing an average of 10+km per day during the 2019 100 days of running.
|1||6Km Easy||2Km Easy 4Km Fast 2Km Easy||8Km Easy||2Km Easy Fartlek 1/1 X 12||12Km Very Easy|
|2||6Km Easy||3Km Easy 3Km Very Fast 3Km Easy||7Km Easy||3Km Warm Up Fartlek 2/1 X 8 3Km Cool Down||13Km Easy|
|3||Easy 6Km||Tempo 3-4-3||8Km Easy||Fartlek 2/1 X 10||6Km Easy||14Km Lsd|
|4||Easy 6Km||Tempo 3-4-3||8Km Easy||Fartlek 2/1 X 10||6Km Easy||14Km Lsd|
|5||6Km Easy||Tempo 3-3-3||6Km Easy||Fartlek 1/1 X 15||6Km Easy||4Km Very Easy||12Km Lsd|
|6||8Km Easy||Tempo 3-4-3||8Km Easy||Fartlek 2/1 X 10||Lsd 15Km|
Key points for all plans
- Always stretch before and after your exercise (see stretching videos #1 and #2)
- Do not try to walk/run within 90 mins of a reasonable meal… allow your food to digest
- Wear light colored clothing to be visible
- Do not wear brand new shoes to run in …wear them for a few walks first
- Avoid roads…use your local park
- Encourage family members to join you
- Pick the plan appropriate to your current fitness
- Don’t be a slave to the program … if you need a rest day or don’t have time its not the end of the world
- Have fun…go easy … you should be able to chat to your friends without getting breathless…. otherwise your pushing yourself too hard
- Rome was not built in a day …. these plans are geared to have you ready to attempt 100 Days of running by 27th April